Overview of Developing Learning Habits (Click to view)
|Site:||Moodle for Teachers|
|Course:||Developing Learning Habits|
|Book:||Overview of Developing Learning Habits (Click to view)|
|Printed by:||Guest user|
|Date:||Saturday, 24 September 2022, 12:13 PM|
Good learning habits facilitate lifelong learning. In this session, participants will learn about, develop, and learn how to implement effective learning habits that engage and motivate students to make good use of their time in and out of class. They will develop personal student competency charts to facilitate the process. They will use technology tools such as Kahoot Challenge, Quizlet, and Curation walls to enforce and sustain learning. The session is based on personal competency framework (PCF) capacity for student to develop effective learning habits in and out of school. As teachers, we want to see students develop learning habits that will facilitate their school learning period and future careers. The session is based on Learning Habits in Personalization by Sam Redding and Janet Twyman, Personal Competency: A Framework for Building Students' Capacity to Learn and the work of Dr. Angela Duckworth and Dr. Katy Milkman.
2. Session Objectives
By the end of this session, participants will have...
- read and discussed personalized learning habits for students using collaborative annotations (Moodle activity).
- developed personalized learning charts for students
- discussed and understood personal competency framework.
- discussed, understood, and identified cognitive competencies.
- discussed, understood, and identified metacognitive competencies.
- discussed, understood, and identified motivational competencies.
- discussed, understood, and identified social competencies.
- discussed, understood, and identified emotional competencies.
- developed a personal competency framework learning plan for their classroom
- Reflected on each of the 5 personal learning competencies.
- Reflected on the session.
3. Week 1
Week 1: (January 10 - 16) Getting Acquainted and Cognitive Competency
In week 1, participants will get acquainted with each other, the layout of the section, and with the tools.
- Introduce yourself using a Voki avatar by clicking on this link https://www.voki.com
- Discuss the learning habits and ways we can help students develop effective learning habits.
- Discuss personalized learning.
- Create a personalized learning chart (copy Google doc) for one of your students, make the doc viewable by anyone who has the link so we can all view it and share it in the discussion forum.
- Discuss Cognitive Competency
- Read and engage in the reading material using Amanote for annotations and notetaking.
- Get accounts on each of the listed technology tools below.
- Choose a curation wall for the reflections and for notes (multimedia)
- Create a Kahoot Challenge with 10 questions related to your reading on Cognitive Competency for week 1 .
- Start reflecting on content of week 1 on your chosen curation wall.
- Join the Quizlet class for the course session https://quizlet.com/join/YuuM2mg6F
- Start a Quizlet study set for the 45 terms https://docs.google.com/document/d/1dgZxh-Q_1VFeq70LcqddHNz0Gq-RWXB1thqxGvsbIho/edit?usp=sharing
- Adding first 10 of the 45 terms and definitions on your Quizlet study set for week 1 https://docs.google.com/document/d/1dgZxh-Q_1VFeq70LcqddHNz0Gq-RWXB1thqxGvsbIho/edit?usp=sharing.
- Receive digital badge for completing the tasks for week 1.
4. Week 2
Week 2: (January 17 - 23) Metacognitive Competency
- Read the resources on metacognition competency using collaborative annotations (Moodle activity) and discuss the components of personal learning habits.
- Add 10 of the 45 terms to a Quizlet study for week 2.
- Continue the Kahoot Challenge for the content of weeks 2.
- Reflect on metacognition competency.
- Receive digital badge for completing the tasks for week 2.
5. Week 3
Week 3: (January 24 - 30) Motivational Competency
- Read the resources on motivational competency using Amanote and discuss the components of habit formation cycle.
- Develop an understanding of motivational competency and how it's related to personalized learning.
- Add 10 of the 45 terms to a Quizlet study set for week 3.
- Add 10 questions for a Kahoot Challenge for the content of weeks 3.
- Reflect on Motivational Competency
- Receive a digital badge for completing the tasks of week 3.
6. Week 4
Week 4: (January 31 - February 6) Social and Emotional Competency
- Read resources on social and emotional competency.
- Use collaborative annotations (Moodle activity) for note taking and discuss the reading.
- Add 10 out of the 45 terms to a Quizlet study set for week 4
- Add 10 questions for a Kahoot Challenge for the content of weeks 4.
- Reflect on the process of developing social and emotional competency.
- Receive a digital badge for completing the tasks for week 4.
7. Week 5
Week 5: (February 7 - 13) Showcase and Reflect
- Showcase EVO22 session work on a curation wall Share.
- Add 5 out of the 45 terms to a Quizlet study for week 5.
- Participants will take each others' Kahoot Challenges and Quizlet study set tests.
- Reflect on the process of developing a personal competency framework and learning habits.
- Peer and session feedback (EVO22 form).
- Receive Certificate of Participation for completing all the tasks for weeks 1-5.
Redding, S., & Twyman, J. (2018). Learning Habits. Center on Innovations in Learning, Temple University.
Redding, S. (2014). Personal Competency: A Framework for Building Students' Capacity to Learn. Center on Innovations in Learning, Temple University.